Travel Insurance

Do you want the freedom to explore the world? Free
your adventure with our partners, Southern Cross
Travel Insurance.

We've got you covered*

umbrellaCreated with Sketch.

Need to make a change or cancel before you leave?

Need to call-off your trip or change your dates because of an unexpected event? The TravelCare policy will reimburse you for your additional or unused prepaid costs.

We're here to help

Call Southern Cross Travel Insurance's specialist now on

1800 196 484 Mon to Fri 9am - 5pm (AEST)

And there's more*

clock-exclamationCreated with Sketch.

Changes to your journey once you have left

If your journey is unexpectedly delayed or interrupted, for more than 12 hours, you'll be reimbursed for your additional or unused prepaid costs.

Rental vehicle

If your hire car gets damaged or stolen during your trip, you can claim for any excess payable to the rental company.

Safeguard your travels in 3 simple steps

  1. Get a quote in seconds
    Simply fill in your traveller ages, where you’re going, and when.
  2. Credit Card payment
    Tailor your policy to meet your needs, and purchase the cover that’s right for you.
  3. Bon Voyage
    Pack your bags, board your flight, and remember help is just a phone call away.

Need urgent help

For emergency assistance while you are overseas, call Southern Cross Emergency Assistance
24 hours a day, 7 days a week on
+61 2 9191 1180+61 2 9191 1180.

Frequently asked questions

Application and policy details
  • Which TravelCare plan is right for me?

    <p>With TravelCare, you can choose either a Single Trip Policy or an Annual Multi-Trip Policy.</p> <p>The Single Trip Policy provides cover for a single return journey overseas, for up to 12 months.</p> <p>The Annual Multi-Trip Policy provides cover for an unlimited number of return journeys overseas, each no longer than the selected maximum trip duration, over a period of 12 months.</p> <p> If you select an Annual Multi-Trip Policy, the maximum trip duration you choose must cover the length of your longest journey and will be stated on your Certificate of Insurance. You won&#x2019;t be covered for any journey that is longer than this duration. </p> <p> <strong>Do I need to select all countries I&#x2019;ll be travelling to?</strong> </p> <p> If you have a Single Trip Policy, you must select all destinations you will be visiting on your journey, which you wish to be covered by your policy, except for transit stops of 24 hours or less where you remain in the airport. </p> <p> If you have an Annual Multi-Trip Policy, you must select all destinations that you will be visiting/or intend to visit during the 12-month cover period, which you wish to be covered by your policy, except for transit stops of 24 hours or less where you remain in the airport. </p>

  • Do I have to be an Australian resident to purchase TravelCare?

    To be eligible for the TravelCare policy, you must be: <ol class="styled-list styled-list--alpha"> <li> An Australian citizen or permanent resident with no visa restrictions; or </li> <li> A New Zealand citizen or permanent resident who resides in Australia; or </li> <li> On a visa or permit which allows you access to all publicly funded health and disability services in Australia, and is valid until after your end date of insurance. </li> </ol> You aren&apos;t eligible for this policy if you: <ol class="styled-list styled-list--alpha"> <li> don&apos;t intend to return to Australia on the completion of your overseas travel; or </li> <li> are travelling overseas with the intention of obtaining medical or dental treatment, cosmetic surgery or related advice; </li> <li> have been advised by a registered medical practitioner that you aren&apos;t fit to travel; or </li> <li> have already departed Australia; or </li> <li> aren&apos;t travelling to a destination outside of Australia. </li> </ol>

  • Should I use my married name or maiden name?

    <p> We suggest you use the name that appears in the passport you will be travelling under. By doing so, your name will be consistent with your itinerary, tickets, copies of passport stamps and other supporting documents. </p>

  • Will TravelCare cover me if I am working overseas?

    <p> The TravelCare policy is designed for people travelling primarily for leisure. However TravelCare provides cover for your attendance at conferences, trade fairs, business training courses, business meetings or office based work (provided that no manual activities or manual work is involved). </p> <p> All work is excluded under the Personal Liability section and cover for manual work is excluded from all sections of the TravelCare policy. </p>

Pre-existing conditions
  • I have a pre-existing medical condition. Is it covered under the TravelCare policy?

    <p>This policy doesn&#x2019;t automatically cover pre-existing medical conditions. However, you can apply for cover by completing an online medical assessment during the policy application process.</p> <p>To help you complete the medical assessment we have split pre-existing medical conditions into two types:</p> <ol class="styled-list styled-list--alpha"> <li>heart, vascular or lung illness or Type 2 diabetes; and</li> <li>any other pre-existing medical conditions.</li> </ol> <p>If you have any heart, vascular or lung illness or Type 2 diabetes, you must tell us about these, as well as any other pre-existing medical conditions that you may have when you complete the online medical assessment during the application process. If you don&#x2019;t tell us about all your pre-existing medical conditions, it could affect your cover.</p> <p>If you have a pre-existing medical condition that isn&#x2019;t a heart, vascular or lung illness or Type 2 diabetes, you can decide whether you want to tell us about these pre-existing medical conditions when you apply for cover. If you do wish to apply for cover for your pre-existing medical condition(s) and you don&#x2019;t tell us about all your pre-existing medical conditions, this could also affect your cover.</p> <p>Once you&#x2019;ve selected that you have a pre-existing medical condition, you will be able to enter the name of the condition and if applicable, you will be prompted to provide more details about it. You will be able to view the results of your medical assessment with no obligation to purchase the policy.</p> <p>Depending on the travel related risk of your pre-existing medical condition, an additional premium may apply if we&#x2019;re able to offer cover. If you choose to pay the additional premium, the condition would be considered a &#x2018;covered condition&#x2019; under the policy.</p> <p>If we don&#x2019;t offer cover for your pre-existing medical condition, or you choose to &apos;opt out&apos; of having the condition covered under the policy, we won&#x2019;t pay any claims relating to your pre-existing medical conditions. The exception to this is that your pre-existing medical condition(s) are covered under the Funeral Expenses/Return of Mortal Remains section of the policy (unless a terminal illness is confirmed before your start date of journey).</p>

  • The online medical assessment isn't recognising my medical condition, what do I do?

    <p>Please check the spelling of your pre-existing medical condition. If you are unsure of the spelling, type in the first few letters then select &apos;Search&apos;. If this is unsuccessful, you may wish to check with your GP whether you have the correct name and spelling.</p> <p>It could also be that the pre-existing medical condition is rare, therefore there may not be enough global claiming data available to help us assess the potential travel related risks to provide cover for this.</p> <p>If you are still experiencing issues with finding your pre-existing medical condition, please contact us on 1800 196 484 and speak to one of our travel insurance specialists.</p>

  • Why does it cost so much to cover pre-existing conditions under the TravelCare policy?

    <p>Pre-existing medical conditions aren&#x2019;t automatically covered under the TravelCare policy, however, if after a medical assessment we have offered cover for a pre-existing medical condition, an additional premium may apply.</p> <p>The medical assessment outcome and amount of the additional premium will depend on the potential travel related risk of your condition, which is based on global claiming data, your destination, your age and the medical assessment questionnaire.</p> <p> Speak to one of our travel insurance specialists on <strong style='display: inline'> 1800 196 484</strong> for more information. </p>

Making a claim
  • If flights are delayed overseas what does the TravelCare policy cover?

    <p>If, because of an unexpected event, your travel is interrupted for more than 12 hours and you remain overseas on your journey, we will pay or reimburse you for the following (less all refunds and credits you are eligible to receive from third parties):</p> <ul class="styled-list styled-list--unordered"> <li>additional costs (so you can continue your original planned journey); or</li> <li>unused, prepaid costs.</li> </ul> <p>The policy provides cover for things like scheduled transport, accommodation, tours, meals and communication costs, up to $30,000 per journey, or qualifying expenses incurred within the first 30 days you&#x2019;re delayed (whichever is lower), if your travel has been interrupted for 12 hours or more.</p> <p>Please contact your service provider in the first instance and make a claim with them first, as many airlines, accommodation providers and tour companies may provide refunds, credit notes or alter your bookings without charging additional fees.</p> <p>Please retain all receipts, bank statements, original itineraries and changed travel itineraries as these will be needed when you submit a claim.</p>

  • What type of sport is not covered under the TravelCare policy cover?

    You aren&apos;t covered under the TravelCare policy for participation in, or training for, the following activities at any time during your period of insurance: <ul class="styled-list styled-list--unordered"> <li> professional sport; </li> <li> individual or team sport competitions which involve monetary prizes; </li> <li> contact sport (i.e any sport which allows physical contact with other players, either deliberate or incidental, within the rules of the sport); </li> <li> racing, including against time, and/or in timed events, of any sort (other than solely on foot); </li> <li> motor sports; </li> <li> hunting of any sort; </li> <li> pot-holing or caving; </li> <li> rodeo; </li> <li> micro light flying or kitesurfing; </li> <li> mountaineering, hiking, trekking or tramping; <ul> <li>- where a reasonable person would use ropes, rock climbing equipment or oxygen;</li> <li>- above altitudes of 3,000 metres; or</li> <li>- between altitudes of 1,500 and 3,000 metres if you are, or intend to ascend more than 500 metres per day;</li> </ul> </li> <li> abseiling or outdoor rock climbing; </li> <li> base jumping; </li> <li> parachuting, paragliding, parasailing, hang gliding, bungee jumping, white water rafting, black water rafting, white water kayaking or land yachting, unless participating with an operator licensed in the relevant country; </li> <li> underwater activities involving the use of an artificial breathing apparatus unless you hold an open water diving certificate or are diving with a qualified instructor; </li> <li> touring in a remote area (being any area with limited or no telecommunications or medical services), except as part of a licensed organised tour; or </li> <li> ocean yachting 12 nautical miles or 22.2km or more away from populated land, or in a remote area (being any area with limited or no telecommunications or medical services). </li> </ul>

  • Am I covered if I am on a cruise that is travelling around Australia and then to New Zealand?

    <p>You can purchase a TravelCare policy if the cruise is travelling around Australia or New Zealand as part of your international itinerary. For example, the cruise ship departs Auckland and travels around the North Island of New Zealand, then on to Australia, cruising around the coast. Or departs Australia, cruising around the country and then across the Tasman to disembark in a New Zealand port.</p> <p>Please be aware that if an unexpected event occurs while the cruise ship is within Australian territorial waters, you&#x2019;ll need to submit a claim with any other service providers in the first instance, such as Medicare or your home and contents insurance provider.</p> <p>As this policy is for overseas journeys, cruises and charter vessels that travel solely within Australian territorial waters aren&#x2019;t covered.</p>

Important information

*This page provides a summary of the key terms only. As with all insurance policies, terms and conditions apply. For details on terms and conditions (including information about exclusions, excesses and sub limits) we recommend you read the Combined Financial Services Guide & Product Disclosure Statement.

**Terms and conditions apply. Please visit our website for more information.

TravelCare is issued by Southern Cross Benefits Limited ABN 99 133 401 939, AFS License 331058 trading as Southern Cross Travel Insurance®.

We are a signatory to the General Insurance Code of Practice and the Australian Financial Complaints Authority.

As an Australian financial services licensee (AFSL), SCTI is authorised to deal in, and provide, general advice on travel insurance products. As we are unaware of your specific needs, financial objectives, and circumstances, we highly recommend you take time to read the Combined Financial Services Guide (FSG), Product Disclosure Statement (PDS), including Policy Wording before buying this product, to ensure that this travel insurance product is right for you.